Monday, December 6, 2010

Catching up on Reverb10: December 1-6

Prompt: December 1 – One Word. Encapsulate the year 2010 in one word. Explain why you’re choosing that word. Now, imagine it’s one year from today, what would you like the word to be that captures 2011 for you? (Author: Gwen Bell)

One word for 2010? Change. The biggest change is that I became a mother this year. The Kid has changed my life in so many ways. It's been a challenge to accept that my life is different and that he comes first, no matter what. I'm getting better at it.

For 2011? Simplicity. I'm trying to de-clutter and simplify my life as much as possible. As I've written about before, I want to live a simple life, much like my grandmother did. Cook from scratch, grow my own food, not take pleasure in (too many) material things. Treasure my family and friends.
*********************************************************************************************
Prompt: December 2 – Writing. What do you do each day that doesn’t contribute to your writing — and can you eliminate it? (Author: Leo Babauta)

The biggest thing that takes away from my writing is The Kid.
When I'm not working, I'm being a mother. But I need to get back to my writing, even if it's 15 minutes a day. I've had so many poems and blog posts floating around my head the past several months, and I need to write them down.

*********************************************************************************************
Prompt: December 3 – Moment. Pick one moment during which you felt most alive this year. Describe it in vivid detail (texture, smells, voices, noises, colors). (Author: Ali Edwards)

That's easy! I felt most alive this year when I was giving birth to my son. It was a surreal experience, and I'm amazed that I was able to give birth to a little boy. I'll save the vivid details for myself. :)

**********************************************************************************************
Prompt:
December 4 – Wonder. How did you cultivate a sense of wonder in your life this year? (Author: Jeffrey Davis)

I'm amazed every day by my son. Amazed that I made him, and amazed at how far he's come in (almost) 9 months. I'm so curious about him, and he, in turn, is curious about the world. I'm honored that I'm the one (or, one of the ones) who gets to show him around.

**********************************************************************************

Prompt: December 5 – Let Go. What (or whom) did you let go of this year? Why? (Author: Alice Bradley)

This is a tough one. There's definitely a person I'm trying to let go of, but it's difficult. I don't speak to them anymore, but I'm still "friends" with them on Facebook, so I'm aware of what's going on with them. I'm not sure why it's been difficult to say goodbye to them. I certainly know why I have to.

I'm also trying to let go of the self-loathing I've felt for years. I'm 35 years old, and I just want to love myself. How I look, how I speak, how I think -- everything. I'm a pretty awesome person, and it's time I appreciate it!


***********************************************************************************************
Prompt:
December 6 – Make. What was the last thing you made? What materials did you use? Is there something you want to make, but you need to clear some time for it? (Author: Gretchen Rubin)

Yesterday, I made homemade jams -- peach and black raspberry. I also made chocolate biscotti. I love to bake and cook, but it's hard to make the time lately. I would love to learn how to sew and quilt, and that's one of my goals for 2011.



3 comments:

Val said...

Hi. I found you via reverb (which I also just began). :)

Congratulations on the birth of your son!

And I see from your twitter link that it looks like you're in Weight Watchers. What do you think of it? I'm thinking about trying it in the new year, as I've gained back weight that I'd lost and think I need some new resources and help in losing it again.

'Nice to meet you. :)

~ Val

Pilgrim Soul said...

Val, I love Weight Watchers' new Points Plus program. The focus is on eating more healthy foods rather than simply low-calorie & low-fat foods. The meetings are great -- there's a new topic each week, and the support from members and the leaders is wonderful. You should give a meeting a try when they have free registration!

Val said...

I will look into it. Thank you. :)