Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Beep beep click click whirr....

As part of my desire to be more environmentally responsible, I decided to ride my bike to vote and go to the library today. [OK, and in the process get some exercise]. I am painfully out of shape, but I survived the [paltry] 4/14 miles. Idiot that I am, though, I didn't take any water with me. Won't make that mistake again.

We have access to a lot of things within a mile or so of where I live, but it's all cut down the middle by a highway that just isn't pedestrian/biker friendly. The post office is in the middle of the highway [think of it like a big island in between the westbound and eastbound lanes] which just pisses me off because it's just inaccessible by anything other than car. But, when I can, I'll ride my bike to run my errands instead of taking the car.

I was perusing the bike laws today and discovered that I'm required to have an "audible signal" which can be heard up to 100 feet away. This news made me tingle. I get to get a horn! Or a bell. I'll have to try them out to see what is best. I'll do this when I get back from vacation. I was also scolded by my husband because I didn't wear my helmet...so I'll start to do that, too.

[I think] we decided to leave for Maine early Thursday morning. There's just too much to do before we go. What concerns me, though, is that we suck at getting up early. Heeding the 5am [or 4am] alarm is not going to go well, me thinks. But I'm excited about getting away. It's only for a few days, but I'm hopeful that we'll still be able to relax. At the very least, we'll just gorge ourselves on lobster!

I got a voicemail from the Dept. Chair today, telling me that another class opened up this summer. If it doesn't conflict with the class I'm already teaching, I'll take it. I need the money, and frankly, I miss the work. The session starts June 24th -- I'll start prepping for it next week.

My garden is doing well [so far]. Everything has been planted -- it's just a matter of weeding, watering, and waiting for the harvest. There are some things I'll plant soon for a fall/winter harvest. I'll post photos when it gets more interesting.

I've finished some great books recently [most of them about living simply, without modern technology...hence my desire to stay away from the computer]. It's been nice to get away from the computer and it's tendency to suck time out of me. But I do want to write about a couple great books I just finished, so...when I get back.

1 comment:

Andi said...

Have fun on your trip! I need to invest in a bike because I think I would ride it for errands and stuff. Can't wait to hear your book chat!