Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Choosing to feel sorry for myself...

I'm tired. TIRED. Tired to the point where I couldn't focus while teaching this morning. I stumbled my way through two of the poems scheduled...I just wanted it to end. The students were tired, and weren't helping me out at all. Things started to liven up a bit when we discussed Donne's "The Flea" and Marvell's "To His Coy Mistress." Apparently, sex poems wake up students. Unfortunately, I can't do that all semester.

I'm having a difficult time keeping my Basic Writing students interested. I've tried different fun writing exercises like sending them out of class to find either something very gross or very beautiful to practice writing descriptions. That was successful in one of my classes, flopped in the other.

I just feel like I bore my students. Maybe I do. Maybe it's just that they're not awake. Or they don't care. It's probably not completely me...right?

No comments: